Saturday, March 28, 2009

Opinion

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Salman Rushdie has a writing style different from what I usually read, and it was a nice change. The descriptive passages were vivid and detailed, which helped me be able to picture exactly what I was reading, which I definitely enjoyed. I like how nothing was told blankly, it was all described, like how we're told to "show" things, not "tell" them. I feel like this will influence my writing, especially if we do a creative writing project for TFA. I also really liked having a background for the story before the "main event" started. It really helped me to place what's going on in the story, gave me a greater understanding of the characters and whatnot. I didn't know very much about Indian history before this book, but I was still able to understand most of the cultural aspects of the story. I would definitely recommend this to others. I know it's been on several lists of great books, and I can understand why. It wasn't the rip-roaring adventure story I was expecting, but that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment