Sunday, March 29, 2009

Last blog post!

Midnight's children was an interesting novel to say the least. It definitely was not what I expected it to be from the get go because I thought it would have a more magical and fantastical feel to it, and I had no idea it would have so much detail. What I really enjoyed was how every detail fit into place and had importance in the novel like a puzzle being put together. The cultural elements were refreshing to read and I really liked having the opportunity to better understand different ways of living. The historical twist played a fairly big part in the overall picture. I always like it when books can intertwine bits of history within them. Even though Midnight's Children is a pretty long book compared ot some, the fact that it was composed of many little stories and histories of characters made it flow better so it didn't seem so treacherous...if that's the right way to put it. At times stories seemed a tad overdone when Saleem would go on and on and on about one story while you're itching to get at a part that he's hinted at. I found it funny how much I related with Padma's feelings in a sense that I enjoyed the parts she did and was also frusterated and surprised at similar points. The book has so much more depth and perspective because we did this blog and were able to discuss many aspects. I would probably not have caught on to all of the literary elements/aspects had we not had this blog up and running. I think it opened my eyes to the fact that maybe some books are better to read AND analyze and pick apart. Prior to doing all of this, I was the type of person who thought all books should just be read when you feel like it for your enjoyment and that you should get what you do out of just doing that. Though I may not always enjoy piecing apart novels, I now realize and have a better understanding of why it can be a good method. I have to say I much prefer reading down here in FL on the beach. Every book would be much more enjoyable if read this way. Overall, I'm glad to say that I read this book and it really gives you a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment