Sunday, March 29, 2009

Last Post!

To say the least Midnight's Children was an interesting book, if not also a little strange. Overall I grew to like the book mostly because it was just so unique and really unlike anything I've ever read before. One of my favorite things about the book was how the author incorporated a lot of the culture and history of India in the book. I didn't know a thing about India before I read the book, but now after I read it, even though it's a fictional book, I feel as if I know a lot more about India than I did before. I also liked the author's unique way of starting the book, with the stories of his grandparents and parents (sort of, because they aren't really his relatives because he was switched at birth). However as Saleem described his life I found myself not really liking him as much as I did in the beginning of the novel. In my opinion, he became very self-centered as he grew up and that bothered me. I also didn't like the ending of the book because the author just kind of left us hanging because Saleem doesn't actually die, he only predicts his death. Obviously since he's the one "writing" the book, if he dies he can't "write" about his death. However I still wish that in the end of the novel we got to hear how he actually died instead of a prediction because what if that really didn't happen? We know that without a doubt Saleem will die, but I'd rather have the author wrap up all the loose ends in book so we know what happens and don't have to keep on wondering. However overall I really liked the book because of how different it was and there was always a new adventure happening to Saleem as he grew up. There were never any dull or slow moments in his life, which made the book that much more fun to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment